Sunday, September 4, 2016

Week 4

Last week, I have been adding a bass line as recommended.

The main chord progression I've chosen to work with is one I've encountered before: doowop progression/50s progression (I vi VI V)

By Hyacinth at the English language Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10298735

I've chosen it as it's really famous and I've also watched some videos about how so many tons of music use this chord progression, so I want to experiment with it and see how I can work with this progression to create music. I want to find out for myself why people keep using this over and over again -it is easy for composers? Does it just sound nice naturally, like the pentatonic we heard last week? While it may be a bad choice if I don't have melodic ideas to make my song sound unique, I hope I will be able to work it well too.

I was also interested in Pachelbel's Canon chord progression as the Canon in D is personally one of my favourite classic of all time. I'll see if I can find any segments to use both, or is that not advisable?

"Almost the godfather of pop music because we've all used that in our own ways for the past 30 years". -Pop music producer Pete Waterman (2002) speaking about Pachelbel's Canon in D


Back to my bass line:
- I chose a bass guitar
- Not the whole song uses the doowop progression. I've used it in the pre-chorus and chorus so far. The first part, since I've written a melody, I've added the bass line as such: E-D-C transposed into my song's key. Not sure if there is a name for this?

I've re-enabled the drum beats I made with ultrabeat as recommended to add a pulse to the intro. I modified it to make it less noisy and random (last week, I was just testing it out and not serious about using it in the song). I like how it fits in now that my direction of the song is changing as I progress. However, I can't figure out if I can actually turn the ultrabeat drums off at some parts of the song?


Other things to look at next week:

  1. Quantize: playing in time
  2. Groove quantize: drummer and bass to play in same time
  3. Strength
  4. Range

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you meant I vi IV V, not I vi VI V.
A very well-used progression to be sure. The challenge will be to make it sound contemporary.